Is Granola Healthy?
Crunchy, salty, sweet, fruity and hearty are all words I would use to describe granola. Sometimes granola brings us back to hiking and being outdoors but granola can be unhealthy. We all wish granola was created equal on the healthy scale but that is far from accurate. Let’s crunch down on the gritty facts!
Granola is now becoming a staple for breakfast. If you are to walk down the supermarket aisle you will find it riddled with multiple brands of granola. These will probably be filled with different assortments of fruits and nuts, making each brand unique. People often have misconceptions of how good granola actually is for you. The everyday granola found at the food store is riddled with tons of sugar and high amounts of fat. If you are choosing granola without reading the ingredient label and the serving information first, you may be sabotaging your health.
Not all granola is created equal so let’s talk about which granola brands are good for you and still taste delicious. All natural granola is a great snack to have especially on the go that is filled with nuts and seeds without the artificial sweeteners. Be sure to read the ingredients so you know exactly what is being added to the granola. Rule of thumb is if you cannot pronounce an ingredient or have no idea what it is you probably should not buy it. Stick to natural ingredients such as maple syrup, real fruit and a mix of nuts and seeds to give you a good mid day boost of energy.
If you are skeptical about buying granola because of all the additives I would try making your own. It is simple and easy to make using oats, seeds, nuts, fruit and maple syrup or honey to sweeten the granola. If you make it yourself you will save money and be able to add whatever ingredients you like to your granola. Sometimes it is best to make things yourself so you know exactly what ingredients are going into your body. Let’s talk about the health benefits of adding granola into your diet.
- Fiber: Granola is packed with fiber, keeping you feeling full for longer and regulating your digestive system. The high fiber content can also help to lower your risk of heart disease.
- Iron: The iron in granola comes mainly from the oats, seeds, and nuts. If you are suffering from iron deficiency this may be a good snack to start incorporating into your diet.
- Protein: You might be surprised by how much protein is in organic and all natural granola. You can find as much as 9 grams of protein per serving and that’s without adding milk or almond milk to it!
- Fat: Healthy fats can be found in granola and this is a good thing! Fat has a bad reputation, but we need some fats guys, just make sure they are the healthy ones! The fats found in granola come from nuts and seeds, which are a good source of omega’s. I personally love to add coconut oil to my granola, making it tasty and healthy.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Granola can be nutrient dense and a good source of different vitamins and minerals. These include (but are not limited to) Vitamin E, Magnesium, Zinc and Copper.
So you see, granola has its perks and is filled with healthy and nutritious benefits. But you have to watch how much you eat of this addictive snack because it is super easy to mindlessly graze. I know it can be tempting to go to town on granola because it is so small and honestly, who wants to take out a measuring cup for portion control? So instead of eating right out of the bag, pour out a healthy portion and don’t go back for seconds. This crunchy snack will be the perfect option for satiating that sweet tooth. So instead of reaching for a Snicker’s bar or one of those store bought granola bars packed with chemicals, turn to all natural granola for an energy packed snack.
I love trying local foods and I came across a local granola company that was selling their granola at the farmers market. NaturalVert Granola is simply delicious and it is an all organic and gluten free granola that uses the highest quality ingredients. When I met the owners of NaturalVert they showed me their certified organic ingredients so I knew it was a good choice. I tried the honey macadamia nut white chocolate granola and it was superb! I copied the ingredients to show what was in their granola. They are listed below:
NaturalVert’s Honey Macadamia Nut with White Chocolate Macadamia.
- Organic Rolled Oats
- Organic Honey
- Organic Brown Rice Crisp (Organic Brown Rice Flour, Organic Molasses, Organic Cane Sugar, calcium carbonate, Sea Salt)
- Organic White Chocolate (Organic Milk Powder, Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla)
- Organic Macadamia Nuts
- Organic Sunflower Oil
- Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar
- Organic Amaranth
- Organic Cinnamon
- Organic Golden Flax-seeds
Make sure you check out NaturalVert and all the products they have to offer. Their granola comes in a wide variety of flavors and the ingredients are always trustworthy. It always makes me feel good to shop local and help new companies become better known in the community. Farmers markets are a great way to meet local farmers and people in the community that care about providing “farm to table food” and good quality produce. It was refreshing to meet the creators of NaturalVert and get to know that their morals align with mine using fresh, organic, and all natural products.
I hope the next time you see granola in the supermarket you give it another look before you put it in your cart. Make sure that it is the healthiest choice for you and the ingredients are all natural! I hope you enjoyed reading about granola and the benefits that it has to your health. We would love to hear your comments. Please join us on Facebook weekly on LiveStream!