Most people avoid lemon due to its sour taste, others simply use it just to garnish their dishes, but lemons are more than just garnish! Lemons, and especially lemon juice, should be part of our daily diet since they are a great source of vitamin C and fiber, and contain many plant compounds, minerals and essential oils. Starting your day with lemon water helps you get rid of the toxins from your body, making you feel refreshed, balancing pH levels and hydrating you at the same time!
Let’s see some health benefits of lemons many people are aware of!
- Its antioxidant properties make lemon one of the most important vegetables in the fight against various types of cancer. Researches have shown that lemon juice can destroy cancer cells in 12 different types of cancers, including the intestine, breast, prostate, lungs and pancreas cancer. In addition, lemon juice has the ability to destroy only malignant cancer cellsand it does not affect healthy.
- Lemon juice can be a home remedy for acne treatment due to its antibacterial properties, leaving the skin glowing.
- Lemon juice contains potassium which is effective in reducing high blood pressure. To get your blood pressure to normal levels it is even more effective to combine the intake of more potassium and less sodium (salt).
- Lemon can help in constipation and prevent stomach aches.
- All citrus fruits, including lemons, contain high amounts of vitamin C, which is an important antioxidant and protects body’s cells from free radicals. Vitamin C can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, as well as lower blood pressure. Just 1/4 cup of lemon juice contains more than 30% of our daily dose.
- Drinking hot lemon water in the morning can protect you from gallstone. In addition, the citric acid in lemons can prevent kidney stones.
- People consume lemon water as a laxative to prevent constipation. And, actually, drinking hot water with lemon can help our digestive system function better!
- The smell of a lemon can improve concentration and help us focus better!
- Lemon is famous for its ability to neutralize bad odors. Many times we rub a lemon in our hands to get rid of bad smell. We can do the same for bad breath! Lemon intensifies saliva production, so our mouth does not dry out, one of the biggest reasons for bad breathing.
- A cup of hot lemon water every morning helps in digestion, reduces cravings and help us lose weight!
What’s New with Vicky
Vicky recently did a TEDx talk where she got a chance to tell her story. It’s a really beautiful, moving talk about perseverance. This was a really exciting opportunity because Vicky is always looking for a platform where she can get the word out about the benefits of real health. It’s called “How BS cured the blind girl” and you can watch here. Please feel free to share with your friends. Vicky would be happy to spread her message even further.
Most people have never eaten one and they’re one of the most common fruits on the market! Do you have any idea which fruit is? Click to read the answer!
Make your salad taste great with this Avocado Lemon Dressing!
Avocado Lemon Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon [juiced]
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 bunch fresh dill
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley
- Himalayan sea salt [ to taste ]
- cayenne pepper [ to taste ]
- filtered water [ adjust amount depending on desired thickness ]
- Place avocado, lemon juice, garlic, fresh herbs, into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- If necessary, add filtered water.
- Pour dressing over salad and enjoy!
Health and Beauty Tips of the Week
- Treat your feet with this exfoliating Lemon Peppermint Foot Scrub
- 8 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and store in a mason jar.
- Rub into your wet feet, paying extra attention to your heels. Rinse off with warm water, dry and apply lotion.
- Make your own blackhead mask using only 2 ingredients!
Mix one tablespoon of raw organic honey and the juice of half of a lemon into a bowl.
Wash you face very well and apply the mask all over your face avoiding the eye area. Leave the mask for 15-20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Whiten your nails with fresh lemon juice!
Mix the juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon with 1 cup of warm water, (not hot).
Dip your fingers in this warm mixture for about five minutes to soften your cuticles and brighten your nails. This home remedy also removes unwanted oils and old stains before you begin a manicure!
Q: Can I naturally lighten up my hair without chemicals?
A: The answer to your question may surprise you! Use lemon! Mix 1 cup lemon juice with 1/4 cup warm water into a bowl. Add the mixture into a spray bottle and spray the mixture onto your hair until your hair is damp. Sit out in the sun for 1 to 2 hours. Take a shower and apply a deep conditioner to your hair. Repeat the process weekly until your hair turns the color that you want.
Q: I can’t stand the taste of lemon water. Can I add a few more ingredients to my detox water?
A: You can detox your body with Sassy Water! In a pitcher put 2 chopped mint leaves, 1 sliced lemon, 1 teaspoon grated ginger and 1/2 peeled and sliced English cucumber. Fill with filtered water, let it sit overnight and drink throughout the day.
“A little lemon juice makes everything taste better!” Virginia Sanbar